Saturday 31 May 2008

Day 2, 31/03/08: Crossing Austria

After having lunch, or more accurately, eating some food and things with calories around 2 p.m., it was time to enter in Austria. Again, the border was open, having nonetheless police that was checking randomly some vehicles. For my surprise, and why not say it, some disappointment I was not picked up.
Like in Czech Republic, also in Austria it is necessary to buy a stamp to circulate on the roads. On the Austrian case, this is only for the highways, and if not mistaken, was around EUR 8.
Allying stupidity with myopia, I didn’t knew where to buy this road stamp. So I parked the car, and went back by foot to the border to ask the police man where can I buy it, using as an ice-breaker my best: “Entschuldigung sprechen Sie englisch?”. With some condescension, one of them politely replyed in English that I can buy it in a petrol station. More or less 200m ahead…..(where I had parked my car).
On the way Viena, two curious things: there were road signs written also in Polish indicating to circulate on the right side of the road and I saw a lot of wind-farms (but in plains, not mountains).Arrived at the entrance of Viena around 16.23h, and exited it at 17.18h. In the meantime, just a small mistake in the center of Viena choosing one exit, but fairly easy to find my road just by following the indications. It was also already when exiting Viena that for the first time the limitations of the vehicle became really evident. 5 lanes each way, in rush hour but sometimes moving fast. As a civilized country they are, I had no problem. After that, highway all the way to Italy and through the Alps.

No comments: