Sunday 25 May 2008

Driving slow – harder than it seems

Driving a matchbox per se is already stupid and dangerous. A slow matchbox in high traffic international roads or highways increases the level of stupidity, lets say, by 37 times. Therefore, and this is true, driving slowly demands much more concentration than driving fast. Normally, I am the type of insecure guy that in order to feel macho behind the wheel, needs to overtake as many cars as possible.
With my 126, all this virility was left aside. I was driving much more looking through the review mirror to be aware of the cars and especially the trucks that wanted (and did) overtake me. In fact, and now I will be brutal, this sucks. Instead of looking and enjoying the landscape, many times when I looked to my left side all I saw was semi-trailer wheels almost as tall as my Fiat. On day two, even without seeing, I could already know, for instance, whether it was a DAF or a Scania overtaking, if it was a V8 or V10, just by listening to the noise. Bullshit of course, though not totally impossible for a motors fanatic.
So for those that thought that while I was driving I could read Tolstoy’s “War and Peace”, you are wrong. I needed to be focused 110% unless I wanted that a truck would mistake my car for a speed bump, so the only reading I was doing was of maps.

1 comment:

Rui Vilela said...

WHAT A SUFFERING!! :)